Here is the latest the HSE has for small business owners (and SME’s in general) on stress:
- Everyone in the organisation has responsibility for tackling Work related stress, involving unions, staff representatives and employees is critical to raise awareness and improve employee health & well being.
- Employers underestimate the extent to which employees are suffering from stress or other forms of mental illness.
- Most organisations will have some form of stress-related problems, the key is to find out where and what the problems are, and how and why they happen. The Management Standards help you decide how to make changes and is a way measure performance.
- Recognise Work related stress is a legitimate health and safety issue and can be dealt with like any other health and safety risk.
- You may play a critical role in specifying task and job requirements and allocating individual job roles, your actions and behaviour could have an impact on the quality of working life of your team.
- You should play a major role in communication ensuring information goes both ways between senior staff and employees.